Friday, April 27, 2012

Thoughts on Mormon Funerals

My Grandmother passed away almost two weeks ago, and she was the last of my grandparents to pass. I have had an interesting mix of emotions these past weeks and I have gone through this process. It may be strange to some that I would feel happy at my Grandma's passing, but if they understood why then it is not so strange. Understanding what we believe happens to a person after they die is a major part of this. (Here's a link to explain the Heavenly Father's plan for us)

 My Grandma became a widow about 20 years ago.  She and my Grandpa were beautiful sweethearts.  I always knew they loved each other and we all ached for her that she was left without her best friend to be a companion with her for the rest of her life.  Through this great trial, there is also a blessing, because of this great loneliness, she was able to spend a lot more time staying with her children and grandchildren.

I loved having Grandma live at our house during my high school years.  She would say all those phrases that will stick in my mind for the rest of my life.  She woke every morning so thankful to be in such a beautiful sunny place.  She was always interested in what I had planned for the day.  She would sit and play happy, marching songs on the piano for hours at a time.  Other times she would sit quietly and crochet baby blanket for all her great-grandchildren.  I loved listening to her tell the story of how hard it was to be short and how the custodian would curse as he moved the block of wood she had under her feet to help her in penmanship.  I loved how she would start tap dancing through our kitchen.  She was always willing to sing and dance with me.  My sister came home from a trip with a coconut bra as a souvenir and we were all laughing and trying it on as we did the hula around the room.  Grandma came in and to our surprise she put the bra on too and started dancing around.

Grandma was always ready to join in and have fun with us.  I love her so much, and she has become the real Grandma in my life.  I am so thankful for her love and patients and endurance.  She is truly my friend.  I love her so much.
 

Because she has become such a good friend, I cry for losing her.  I will miss hearing her voice, and seeing her smile.  Yet I can now see it in my mind and her speak to me in my memory.  I feel sad that my children won't remember what an amazing person she is.  I hope they will take the time to listen and learn about her.  I hope I can live and serve as she did.
Although she is not here with me, I know she is not gone forever.  It is as though she went to sleep and woke in another world.  She is now with her sweetheart, my grandpa, and all the other family she has missed.  I will see her again when either I pass beyond the veil of this life, or we are all resurrected when the Savior comes again.  Because of this knowledge, I can rejoice and be happy.

I have lost my other Grandparents recently too, and I will miss them and look forward to the day when I can see them again.

Thanks Grandma for being in my life.  I love you.  'Til we meet again.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I love to hear your memories of your grandma. I am so glad you were able to have so many! I'm sorry to hear of your loss and hope that your family all feels peace and comfort. Even though, we know we will see our loved ones again, it still hurts to lose them. Sending some love your way!

Dad said...

Wonderful memories! Thanks for sharing them and recording them. Thanks also for the testimony of your faith.

Mindy said...

I loved reading about the sweet relationship you had with your grandmother and the wonderful memories you made. It's remembrances such as these that will make that future reunion so much sweeter.

Love and miss you all!