Thursday, September 18, 2014

Why Am I?


On one of my many trips back and forth from school by bike, I chatted with a crossing guard mentioning how the end of the year becomes overly busy.  She curiously asked me what was keeping us so busy and my reply was mainly school and church, explaining that we do a lot of volunteer work at church.  Her quick reply caught me by surprise, "Ah, well just cut that part out.  You don't need more work, especially volunteer work."  I didn't have time to talk longer as it was time to go, but I have thought about this for a long time now.

Why?  Why do I do so much "volunteer" work beyond the hassles of raising a moderately large family in this crazy world that takes up so much of my time without multiplying it by six.  My response to her she may not have understand, but I said "I can't, because it is a part of me."  It comes down to my devotion to God.  Even though I may feel overwhelmed by all that I do as a mother, wife, citizen, and a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints; I do it because it is something I have covenanted to do and also my way to show my love of God.  I am willing to give my all to do what I feel is right.





As I serve I find so much joy and I learn so much that I could never learn any other way.  I make friends I never would have had if I hadn't served.  I gain talents I didn't know I had and polish other talents that may never have grown.




If I didn't live how I live in the gospel, I wouldn't be me, and I wouldn't have much purpose in life.

So though my life seems busy with tasks that others may see as unnecessary or burdensome, "on [I] will go though the weather be foul.  On [I] will go though [my] enemies prowl.  On [I] will go though the Hakken-Kraks howl.  Onward up many a frightening creek, though [my arms may get sore and [my] sneakers may leak."  Through heaven's help "I know [I will go] far and face up to [my] problems whatever they are."  (Dr. Suess, "Oh, The Places You'll Go")




4 comments:

gaylene said...

This is so beautiful and so true! Love it :)

Glenn Rowe said...

Awesome and so timely for us too! Well done. We are proud of you!

Danielle said...

Beautiful post. We have been commanded to love one another and you can't help but love the people that you serve. I think service gives us an opportunity to develop Christ-like love for people that we wouldn't otherwise.

Love hearing about your family! I can't believe how big your kids are getting!

Rockin' Rowes said...

Awesome Maryann! Especially after our conversation this morning!