Thursday, May 31, 2018

Insights on the Family: What Motherhood Means to Me

“Children are an heritage of the Lord” (Psalm 127:3).  
Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children."
The Family: A Proclamation to the World

Holding my first little one.

While growing up I kept a little journal that took me through all my school years. In this journal I listed who my best friends were, what I liked to do, and what I wanted to be when I grew up. From preschool through twelfth grade there was a pretty consistent vision of what I wanted to be when I grew up, except during those early years when I said that I wanted to be a bird or a ballerina.

My ultimate goal was to be a mother. I loved how my mom was always there for me; she was and is a great friend. She has taught me so much through the way she lives. I want to be just like her.

Since we never know when we will get married, or if we will be able to have children, I made intermediate goals to live my life and get an education. In my situation marriage came earlier than later and so I was able to start my family young.


Even though I have always wanted to be a mother, it is the hardest work I have ever done. There are many voices in the world that devalue motherhood, or say that it is harmful and oppressive to  women. President Spencer W. Kimball said:

"Mothers have a sacred role. They are partners with God, as well as with their own husbands, first in giving birth to the Lord's spirit children, and then in rearing those children so they will serve the Lord and keep his commandments."
(March 1976)


Motherhood is so much more than just childcare. Elder Robert D. Hales taught that women shouldn't let "the world define, denigrate, or limit" them in their pursuit of learning and motherhood. He then went on to say that "motherhood is the ideal opportunity for lifelong learning. A mother's learning grows as she nurtures [her children]" (The Journey of Lifelong Learning). This learning comes through all the stages and in all areas of knowledge, whether it be math and science or health care and language arts.

While serving a mission for the church in Kagoshima, Japan, she continued inviting people to join her at the church for exercise.
My own mother has been a great example of lifelong learning. From the time I was very little I remember her teaching exercise classes for fun! She mainly did it at our nearby church building where she would invite anyone who wanted to join her. This was not only a great way to stay healthy, but a great way to help others as well, AND she did it for free. In this goal she has become very knowledgeable in health and wellness. She continues to teach, and I am sure she will continue to do it into eternity. Through this endeavor she has taught her children the importance of taking care of our bodies.

Our garden and yard that we love experimenting with.
In my own life I feel I have learned so much as a mother. With my children I have learned about plants and animals around us. I have loved learning and identifying these creations. Then our family has learned about the different plants we can grow that will produce food for us to eat. It has been so much fun, and also very educational.

Family life really is a laboratory for learning and growth, and as a mother I get to be in the middle of it learning, teaching, and growing too. President Thomas S. Monson said:

As I strive to be the best mother I can be, I feel myself drawing closer to God. As I draw closer to God, I am enabled to be a better mother.



No comments: