Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Insights on the Family: The Strengthening Power of Prayer

"Prepare every needful thing and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God" (Doctrine and Covenants 109:8).


President Thomas S. Monson counseled, "Remember to pray fervently. To those within the sound of my voice who are struggling with challenges and difficulties, large and small, prayer is the provider of spiritual strength. It is the passport to peace. Prayer is the means by which we approach our Father in Heaven who loves us. Speak to Him in prayer. And then listen for the answer. Miracles are wrought through prayer" (Be Your Best Self).

"Prayer can restore harmony and
promote a greater desire to work together" (Lambert, p. 199)
Nathan Lambert wrote that "prayer is the means by which individuals may invite God to play an active role in their relationship" (Successful Marriages and Families, p. 197). Lambert continues to share how as families and couples pray for the members of their families their view and perception of that person changes. They come to see the person and the relationship in a more holy and sacred way. Prayer helps heal conflict and helps families form goals that help the relationship grow. Prayer helps couples and families be more unified.

After prayer hugs
Prayer has been an important part of my life long before I had my own family. When Clark and I married we started the tradition of prayer together morning and night. We had heard counsel to couples from church leaders that it was very important to never go to bed without first praying together. President Monson had received the same counsel and was told that as they prayed aloud together on bended knee, "misunderstandings that develop[ed] during the day will vanish as you pray. You simply can't pray together and retain anything but the best of feelings toward one another." So we have strove to keep this commitment, and I feel it is a unifying experience. As children came along, we held an additional prayer together in the evening as a family. When I am organized and doing well, we also hold a morning prayer together as a family. I can't think of sending my children off to school or other activities without know we have knelt together and prayed.

My heart feels love and gratitude when my own children will request prayers. I loved hearing my son ask that we pray (while we were sitting in the van ready to pull out to go somewhere), or another one asks that we pray for a family that we know that is struggling. These experience impress in my mind the amazing power prayer has in shaping who we are and our relationships with each other. My children become more other-concerned and their heart are turned to serving and caring for others. I am sure that as we continue to keep praying in our family we will continue to be shaped and bettered because of it.


No comments: