Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Studying the Scriptures

I was able to have a few moments to myself again this morning. I love having a quiet time to read my scriptures and really think about them. I just read the last chapter in "The First Book of Nephi" (22). This is where Nephi's brothers ask him what Isaiah's word meant that Nephi had just read to them in the last chapter. You can read chapter 22 here if you would like.

As I was reading my testimony of the Book of Mormon being true was reaffirmed. As I read, I see prophesies being fulfilled; I gain better understanding; I am enlightened.

Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon into English through the gift and power of God. He said that it is “the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book” (History of the Church, 4:461).
-“Chapter 10: Scriptures,” Gospel Principles, 52

This isn't to say we don't study and learn from the Bible as well, but that the Book of Mormon is also the word of God. As stated in the eighth Article of Faith:

We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

I know that the Book of Mormon is true, it is a book of God. I know Joseph Smith is and was a prophet of God that helped to bring the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ back on the earth again. I know that President Thomas S. Monson is our prophet today and holds all the priesthood keys for this dispensation and time.

No comments: