Thursday, June 2, 2016

A Letter to my Friend

Dear Friend,

I wanted to write you a letter to tell you how thankful I am for you.  There have been times in my life when I really struggled with feeling lonely, and then you came into my life and blessed me with your friendship.  You have been patient with me on the days I crawl into my shell and ignore the world.  You have also helped me come out of my shell and have fun.

Thank you for listening and conversing with me, filling my life with laughter and light.  I hope you don't mind when I share my beliefs with you.  Or when my children invite you to church activities.  This is my main reason for writing to you.  I want you to understand that part of our life a little better.

Being a Mormon has been a part of my life since before I was born, and yet I don't know why I get so nervous to share that side of my life.  I guess I am afraid to offend someone or perhaps make them turn away and not be a friend, but not sharing that side of me is kind of like lying about who I am.

Every decision I make, way I speak, way I dress, the food I eat (or don't eat), or what I choose to participate in is based on me being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  Sometimes when I think of you I see things I would love to share with you.  When your spouse passed away, my heart ached for you.  I wanted to share with you my beliefs in eternal families through ordinances performed in our sacred temples.

A view of the Gilbert Arizona Temple rising above the trees from afar in the late evening, with pink and orange light.

"Sacred ordinances and covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the presence of God and for families to be united eternally" (The Family: A Proclamation to the World).

Or when I saw you suffering through other trials that came into your life, I wanted to share with you the comforting power of prayer and also priesthood blessings.  I know that even if the trials don't go away, gaining strength from God can help us conquer any challenge.

Two men in white shirts and ties give a priesthood blessing to a young boy who is lying sick in bed.
Two priesthood holders blessing a sick child.
There have been many times I want to share with you the Book of Mormon.  Having this book as a companion to the Bible has brought me so much closer to feelings Gods love and word in my life.  I know it is an inspired book.  I know that if anyone chose to read it with an open heart, they would find it uplifting and inspiring because it rings with truth and a testimony of the Savior, Jesus Christ.

A diptych depicting Christ’s Crucifixion and Christ visiting the New World, with the emblems of the Bible and Book of Mormon at the top.
Bible is a testimony of Savior, and the Book of Mormon is another testimony of Savior from a people who lived in the Americas.
I know that we Mormons may be strange, and it might be strange that we love to talk so much about what we believe, but that is because it is the most important part of our life.  This is who I am.  I know and love God better from being a Mormon.  I sincerely hope that someday you might take an opportunity to investigate and learn about our beliefs for yourself.  Feel free to ask me!  I am your friend.  Also, please know I will always be your friend.

Thank you again for being my friend.  You are a great blessing in my life!

With love,

Maryann

No comments: